Am I a Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery?
For men, growth of the breast tissue (medically known as gynecomastia) can lower self-confidence. If you live in Phoenix and feel self-conscious about the appearance of your upper body, you might benefit from male breast reduction (gynecomastia) surgery. To find out whether gynecomastia surgery is right for you, please call Paul Angelchik, M.D., today at 602-375-8888 to schedule an appointment. Dr. Angelchik serves patients from in or around Phoenix, Arizona.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Angelchik will discuss what you hope to achieve with the gynecomastia procedure. He will also take a full medical history, examine the breast tissue and answer questions you might have about gynecomastia. During this appointment, Dr. Angelchik will be able to assess your suitability for male breast reduction surgery. Some of the main qualities of an ideal candidate for the procedure include:
- Sound health
- No pre-existing illnesses or medical conditions that could lead to complications
- A healthy body weight
- Breast tissue that has stopped growing (stabilized)
Generally speaking, patients seeking gynecomastia surgery are healthy and try to stay fit. If you’re embarrassed by the growth of breast tissue and a diet and exercise regimen hasn’t helped you take back your body, a reduction procedure could tighten up your torso once again.
Like any body contouring procedure, your candidacy is dependent not only on the state of your health but also your ability to prepare for the surgery and complete prescribed aftercare. To get the most out of your gynecomastia procedure, it’s important to follow all of Dr. Angelchik’s instructions before and after the surgery. Prior to the procedure, you might be asked to:
- Adjust your use of prescription drugs so they don’t lead to complications or interfere with the general anesthesia used during reduction surgery
- Stop smoking, if you haven’t already
- Avoid the use of medications that thin the blood, such as aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs
After your procedure is over, it’s important to:
- Avoid strenuous activity for several days after the procedure
- Drink plenty of water and eat healthily to facilitate recovery (be sure to steer clear of high-sodium food)
- Gently massage the chest to maintain circulation and reduce swelling
- Wear the compression garment as directed by your doctor
- Follow all of your doctor’s instructions on the taking of antibiotics and medication to alleviate discomfort
If you live in or around Phoenix and you think gynecomastia surgery can help you obtain your ideal physique, please contact Paul Angelchik, M.D., today to schedule your initial consultation.