The Effect of Breast Implants on Exercise
Will having breast implants affect your ability to participate in athletic activities?
It’s a question posed by many of our patients, and the answer really depends on each individual’s situation. But here, I’ve outlined a few points to consider:
- The action of reaching across the chest, as needed in sports like tennis and golf, can be slightly impacted. The larger your breast implants, the greater the possibility of this concern.
- Your arms’ range of motion could be affected in some cases, giving you the feeling that the implants are “in your way,” while exercising. This is usually an early sensation, and you will adapt.
- With breast augmentation, you are adding a bit of weight to your breasts, which you may notice in high-impact activities like jogging. A proper exercise support bra can help.
- Professional swimmers may experience slightly increased drag in the water.
- You may experience temporary overall muscle weakness, especially in the upper body, while your body heals from the surgery.
Overall, breast augmentation should not affect your physical activities in any major way once you have healed. To improve your odds of having trouble-free healing, find an experienced and knowledgeable cosmetic surgeon.
In the Phoenix area of Arizona, please contact the highly skilled breast augmentation surgeon, Dr. Paul Angelchik at (602) 375-8888.
Dr. Paul Angelchik is a Phoenix plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Dr. Angelchik is well-trained and experienced in all forms of plastic surgery, namely breast enhancement and facial rejuvenation. He has been serving patients for over 20 years. Dr. Angelchik brings his surgical experience, expertise, and quality care to patients in and around Phoenix, Arizona.