What to Expect During a Breast Augmentation Procedure
Get the Perfect Size & Shape with Breast Augmentation
In most cases, breast augmentation surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure, which does not require an overnight stay in a hospital. General anesthesia s typically used, so you feel no pain during the procedure. The surgery itself lasts from one to two hours.
Here’s a brief outline of what happens during the surgery:
• Small incisions are made, and implants are inserted either on top or behind the pectoral muscle. (Read more about the types of incisions used.)
• If your implants are saline-based, your surgeon will fill the implants at this point.
• The incisions are sealed with sutures that your body will eventually absorb.
• Once the surgery is complete, you will be monitored in a separate recovery area, staffed with qualified nurses.
• You will have surgical bandages, or a surgical bra, applied to your breasts when you wake up from the surgery.
• Your breasts will be quite sore and tender, and swelling should be expected for a week or more after surgery.
You should be able to return to work within a few days. (Read more about breast augmentation recovery time.)
Would you like to learn more? Please contact Phoenix breast augmentation surgeon Dr. Angelchik at (602) 375-8888 to schedule a consultation.