What can cause gynecomastia?
Plastic surgery and skin care to help you look and feel your best
Gynecomastia is a condition in which the male breast is overdeveloped and resembles a female breast. It could be in response to hormonal issues such as having too much estrogen or not enough testosterone. Gynecomastia causes the glandular tissue of the breast to swell and become enlarged in any male. To learn if gynecomastia surgery is the right choice to correct this condition, please call 602-375-8888 to schedule your preliminary consultation.
The causes of gynecomastia depend upon how old the patient is when the symptoms are first observed. For example:
- Newborns or preteen boys – it can be caused by an estrogen-producing tumor which may actually go away on its own
- Teenage boys – gynecomastia may be brought on by the hormonal changes that occur in puberty
- Adult males – it is typically caused by another health condition such as; an overactive thyroid, lung cancer, cirrhosis, and even can be a result of excessive alcohol or drug use
Gynecomastia is often psychologically distressing for sufferers. For longer standing gynecomastia cases, which have not resolved on their own, surgery is required as the symptoms will not reverse by using medication alone.
Any surgical procedure comes with a certain degree of risk and having surgery to correct your gynecomastia is no exception. When you consult with Dr. Angelchik, he will provide you with detailed information about your gynecomastia treatment options. That way, you are completely aware of any risks and benefits. Some of the benefits of correcting your gynecomastia with surgery include:
- The semi-permanent removal of excess breast area tissue
- Less reason to feel self-conscious or socially embarrassed
- The ability to choose your breast dimension and shape
The first step in treating gynecomastia is to determine its underlying cause. Once the underlying cause – whether it is hormonal changes, being overweight, or any substance use issues – is addressed, he will help you find the right treatment plan. The surgery itself can be accomplished in a 60-90 minute outpatient procedure. If you would like to learn more about how gynecomastia surgery can create a dramatic difference in your life, please contact Paul Angelchik, MD today. Call 602-375-8888 for your preliminary consultation.