Before you have your breast lift, you will have discussions with Dr. Angelchik about the Breast Lift Options and he would make sure you understand how your surgery will be done.
Mastopexy per se is not a particularly painful operation, depending on which incision option you have chosen. More extensive incisions will lead to greater discomfort, although skin incisions alone are not usually very painful.
If you have breast implants as well as the breast lift, there will be more pain early on, particularly if your implant is in the submuscular position. That is because muscle fibers to the ribs, sternum (breast bone), and muscle connective tissue are cut to make an implant pocket. For more involved techniques like a vertical or anchor mastopexy, drains are often used. They stay in position for four or five days.
Breast Lift Recovery
You will be asked to refrain from heavy upper body exercise and lifting more than 10 to 15 pounds for four weeks, and while you are taking narcotic pain medication, you should not drive a car or operate machinery. Typically, narcotics are only necessary for about a week. In cases where the breast lift is combined with a breast augmentation, Dr. Angelchik will prescribe a muscle relaxant, as they are very helpful in reducing narcotic requirements and alleviating muscle spasm.
- Sutures (stitches) are typically buried and absorbable and thus do not need to be removed.
- Swelling will subside over several weeks and the breasts will relax into position as the tissue determines the “comfortable” tension at which it within two or three weeks.
- You can shower after drain removal. In cases where drains are not used, you can shower after 48 hours.
- The dressing changes you do at home are generally minimal and will be reviewed in our office. If you had a Donut Mastopexy, you will have a transparent adhesive dressing on the incision for 12 weeks. It splints the incision and reduces any risk of the scar spreading.
- You can start Implant massage and compression exercises after two weeks if you have breast implants.
Breast Lift Risks
All breast lift procedures have some degree of risk. The specific risks and the suitability of a particular procedure are carefully reviewed during your consultation and Dr. Angelchik will answer all your questions.
We place the highest priority on your safety and comfort. We want you to have the best possible experience and will work with you to make it happen. That involves giving you clear pre- and post-operative instructions and scheduling follow-up visits for monitoring your healing. We would want you to contact us immediately should anything unexpected happen.
To learn more and to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Angelchik, please call or email our office today. We serve residents of Phoenix and Glendale, Arizona, and we look forward to talking with you.