How to Minimize Scarring From a Tummy Tuck
Get the Perfect Size & Shape with Breast Augmentation
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is one of the most popular plastic surgeries in the United States. This procedure can be done as a standalone surgery or performed alongside liposuction and/or breast augmentation for a mommy makeover. A tummy tuck can get rid of excess, sagging skin and unwanted fat, but our patients often worry about the scars they will have after their surgical wounds have healed.
The size of your tummy tuck scar will depend on the type of tummy tuck you have done. The traditional tummy tuck involves several incision sites the largest of which is the horizontal scar that stretches from hip to hip. This scar can usually be placed under the bikini line. The mini-tummy tuck offers the smallest scar.
The most important aspect of scar reduction is the surgical skill of your plastic surgeon and the amount of tension on the incision site. Tummy tuck scars will get worse before they get better. Typically, it takes up to six months for the scarring to begin to fade. However, scar treatment can begin as soon as the wound has healed.
There are several ways to reduce your tummy tuck scar including:
- Optimal wound healing. The recovery process is vital to your health and the resulting tummy tuck scar. Any infection or inflammation can cause the scar to be more visible. Keep surgical tape on as long as possible to avoid tension.
- Compression garments. These garments stimulate blood circulation, reduce swelling and prevent tension around the wound. Too much wound tension can make scars widen, causing the outside of the scar to raise and the inside to depress.
- Lifestyle habits. Avoid exposing the area to the sun, and make sure to use sunscreen to protect the scar. For optimal healing and scar treatment, wear loose-fitting clothes and avoid smoking.
- Laser treatment. There are many lasers that can treat surgical scars using high-energy laser beams to remove or transform damaged skin.
- Additional surgery. If the scar is still pronounced and unsightly one year after your tummy tuck, you can have additional surgery to get rid of prominent scarring.
If you’re interested in a tummy tuck, contact our board-certified plastic surgeon in Phoenix today at 602-375-8888 to schedule your consultation. Dr. Angelchik serves clients throughout Arizona including Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale and Peoria.