Breast Augmentation Implants: Saline or Silicone?
Dr. Paul Angelchik is a Phoenix plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Dr. Angelchik is well-trained and experienced in all forms of plastic surgery, namely breast enhancement and facial rejuvenation. He has been serving patients for over 20 years. Dr. Angelchik brings his surgical experience, expertise, and quality care to patients in and around Phoenix, Arizona.
When it comes to breast augmentation, you have two choices when it comes to the type of substance used to fill your implants: saline and silicone. (All breast implants have a silicone rubber outer shell or bag.)
The most commonly used implant is the saline implant, which is filled with sterile salt water. Silicone implants are filled with a soft, elastic gel.
Advantages of Saline Implant
• Can be filled during surgery where minor modifications can be made.
• Requires only a small incision if filled during surgery.
• If a leak occurs, the saline is quickly and safely absorbed in the body.
• Low rate of infection.
• No restrictions on use, compared to silicone implants.
Advantages of Silicone Implant
• Thicker consistency of silicone means a lower incidence of rippling of the implant compared to saline.
• Can provide a more natural feel to the touch than saline.
Of course, the selection of a type of implant, as well as the size of breast implant, are things that you and your experienced breast implant surgeon will want to discuss at length together to determine the right choice for your specific situation.
Considering breast implants? Get all of the latest information from Phoenix breast augmentation specialist Dr. Paul Angelchik at (602) 375-8888.